Scuba Diving Certification Steps
The steps to becoming a certified diver are as follows (or see a visual representation of the process):
- Enrol in an Open Water Course
- Complete online home study (theory)
- Complete 2 days in pool with a Scuba World instructor
- Complete 4 dives in the ocean
Once you complete the above you are certified to dive to 18 meters.
The next step is completing your Specialty Diver certification which includes:
- 2 specialties (Deep Sea Diving, Navigation Diving) and 12 logged dives (this certifies you to dive to 40m)
The next step is completing your Advanced Open Water Diver which includes:
- 2 more specialties (Nitrox Diving, Night Diving) and 12 more dives (total 4 specialties and 24 logged dives)
The next step is Master Diver:
Once you become a Master Diver this is the highest level you can reach in recreational diving. You then have to decide whether you would like to just keep diving and travelling to exotic locations, or become a Dive Leader.
The Dive Master qualification requires the following:
- Dive guide course
- Science of diving specialty
- Plus 2 extra specialties (Equipment Techniques, Boat)
- Obtain a commercial diving medical
- Obtain SSI membership
FYI, if you haven’t yet tried Scuba Diving why not try our pool diving course?
Why become a Certified Scuba Diver?
After completing your scuba diving certification, you are ready to pursue a lifetime of adventure. The fun doesn’t need to stop!
Diving offers endless opportunities for exploration, discovery, education and new experiences. You can go as far as your passion and enthusiasm take you.
Join the diving community and with just a little more training, you can go even further—imagine diving in underwater shipwrecks, with graceful manta rays and turtles, or becoming an underwater photographer!
Check out all of the exciting specialty programs. It’s your chance to move to the next level in your diving adventures. SSI will be a reliable buddy accompanying you on your way.