SSI Extended Range courses are designed to take your diving to the next level. Whether you are looking for the excitement of deep diving, going beyond recreational diving limits, significantly extending your bottom time or enjoying the thrill of exploring deep reefs, wrecks and caves, Extended Range provides the training and experience necessary to complete your new adventure with confidence and skill.
Academically you will advance your knowledge and understanding of principles, procedures and theories specific to diving safely with a decompression ceiling. You will adapt your existing equipment or be introduced to new equipment concepts and the technically oriented dive rig. You will also learn and master new skills designed to enhance your safety and enjoyment using this new equipment design. During your program your instructor will cover everything from supreme buoyancy, propulsion, equipment management and effective decompression.
Throughout the program you will increase the knowledge, skills, equipment and experience to “extend your range of diving” in every sense of the word.
Whatever your current level of training, Extended Range Diving will challenge and thrill you mentally and physically.
This program qualifies you to dive to 45 meters using nitrox and 20 minutes of accelerated decompression using a one stage decompression gas (oxygen). The program can only be completed wearing a technical total diving system.
Your SSI Extended Range Instructor will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Extended Range Instructor (certified to 50 metres & able to use Trimix 21/35)
- Current certification in Apply First Aid, CPR, Oxygen Administration and TAE Certificate IV in Training and Assessing
- 500+ dives
- 3+ years’ experience
- SSI XR Extended Range Advanced Nitrox certification or equivalent
- Master Diver certification or equivalent
- Logged 50 dives including 10 Nitrox dives
- Complete a ‘check out’ dive with a Scuba World XR Instructor. The price is simply for the dives (no additional fees to have the XR Instructor with you)
- Each diver enrolled in the program must complete the watermanship skills evaluation specified for XR Extended Range divers
- If you’re over 45 years old OR have a body mass index (BMI) over 32 OR a waist circumference greater than 102cm for males and 88cm for females you’ll be required to get a Australian diving medical
- Own all of your own high quality, annually serviced equipment (excluding tanks and certain hoses)
- High quality SMB (ideally you would use a Halcyon SMB 1.4 metre with a CC DAM)
- Spool Reel (ideally you would use a Halcyon Defender Pro 200 spool reel)
- Wetnotes (any brand)
- Primary torch that can mount to your left wrist (ideally a Light & Motion, however any brand is suitable)
- Secondary torch
- No zip ties are to be used on any of your equipment
N.B. An Extended Range Instructor will complete an ‘equipment critique’ prior to your enrolment of this course
- Digital Internationally accredited certification card on completion of your course
- Pool fees
- SSI Extended Range Limited Trimix Instructor for 3 days
- 2 ocean dives on the Scuba World boat
- Use of rental twin steel or aluminium tanks, stage (5.7 litre) tank and weights
- All course materials
- THE LAST TWO OCEAN DIVES – must be completed on an International Trip
- GAS – Oxygen and Helium used is calculated based on the number of students in the course, and must be paid prior to course commencing.
DAY 1 | 7AM – 5PM: Theory, Exam, Equipment workshop and Pool
DAY 2 | 10AM – 6PM: Planning, Ocean Dives, Logbooks and Paperwork
DAY 3 | Final two ocean dives must be completed on one of the Scuba World International trips
2017 COURSE DATES:
- Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 of August
As with the Extended Range course this course allows you to dive to 45 meters and 25 minutes of accelerated decompression time using one stage decompression gas (oxygen). The course can only be completed wearing a full technical total diving system. In addition to using nitrox, you will be qualified to use Trimix with a minimum oxygen content of 21%. The Limited Trimix program is specifically designed to reduce nitrogen narcosis in the extended range diver.
- Maximum of 4 divers will be in this course
- Minimum of 2 divers will be required to start this course
- Hire of wing, back plate & harness is $45 a day (this will be deducted off the price of a wing & back plate set up if you purchase before the end of your graduation night)
- Hire of long 2 metre hose is $5 a day (this will be deducted off the price of a 2 metre hose if you purchase before the end of your graduation night)
- Waterman ship evaluations consists of the following;
- A 800m surface distance swim using a mask, snorkel and fins
- A surface swim of at least 400m while wearing all of your equipment and required stage cylinder
- A 15-minute survival swim/ float without the use of mask, snorkel, fins or other swimming aids