Although your certification card is valid for life, Scuba World recommends you dive at least six times per year to keep your skills proficient. A scuba skills update consists of completing the SSI online training component and then reviewing all the skills you learnt in your Open Water Course in our onsite pool.
WHEN YOU SHOULD COMPLETE A SSI SCUBA SKILLS UPDATE?
- If you DO NOT PLAN on diving with Scuba World
- You have not dived for 5 or more years
If you have completed 250+ dives, you may be able to complete a pool ‘check out’ dive instead
If you believe you only need a pool ‘check out’ dive, please phone Scuba World to discuss your diving history.
- $195 – scheduled dates
- $245 – unscheduled dates
- Access to online training (takes roughly 2 – 3 hours to complete)
- Friendly, experienced instructor who will be in the pool with you to review and complete all the skills you learnt in your Open Water course
- 90% of the time you will receive private tuition because you’ll be the only person doing this course however we have a maximum ratio of 1:4
- All hire equipment
- The instructor, on successful completion of your SSI Scuba Skills Update course will sign off that you have completed all the required skills in your logbook
Scuba Skills Updates are conducted in our on-site pool. These are run once a month, on the last Sunday of every month. Meet at 7:30am and finish approx. 9:30am.
N.B. We can schedule Scuba Skills Updates on other days however these are subject to availability and cost $245.
- Dive brief
- Complete Scuba Skills Update in our onsite pool
- Sign dive logbook
REVISION SKILLS YOU WILL COMPLETE WHEN YOU BOOK A SCUBA WORLD SCUBA SKILLS UPDATE:
- Pre-Dive Check
- Scuba System Assembly
- Putting on a Scuba Unit
- Entries and Exits
- Reminder about the Rules of Scuba Diving
- Hand Signal Review
- Buoyancy Check with a Total Diving System
- Controlled Descent With A Buddy
- Controlled Ascent With A Buddy
- Regulator Clearing (Purge and Exhale)
- Regulator Retrieval (Arm Sweep and Alternate)
- Mask Clearing (Full Flood and Removal)
- Stationary Air Sharing
- Air Sharing Ascent
- Emergency Ascent Skills
- Neutral Buoyancy (Diving Position)
- Scuba Unit Disassembly
- Debriefing and Record Keeping
- Process Digital Certification Card (available on the SSI App that is free to download)